- I don't think going to war with Syria will have a long-lasting effect on the market.
- I'm still in cash, and waiting patiently.
- College football Saturday! I've been watching a lot of games... since Thursday! Friday night's North Dakota State win over Kansas State was very fun to watch!
- Not that I'm in favor of going to war with Syria. Haven't we learned our lesson(s) with wars in the Middle East?
- So, Same-sex couples to get federal tax breaks. Hey, what about the marriage penalty? Aren't taxes higher when incomes of two wage earners are combined?
- President Obama said he was going to ask Congress if it was okay to bomb Syria. Really? I think he's looking for the do-nothing Congress that opposes him on everything to tell him NO, and that's his out. Right? Then, back to working on his golf handicap.
- They say consumer spending tapered off in July as folks held on tight to their wallets. I wonder how rising interest rates and rising gasoline prices are contributing to this. Oh... and the higher payroll tax, too.
- Sarah Palin said on Syria, "Let Allah sort it out.'" Agreed!
Saturday, August 31, 2013
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Looks like the summer market sell off finally appeared. There is always some reason du jour. Is it really Syria? Is it earnings or economic numbers? The Fed easing its QE - the taper?
Sunday, August 18, 2013
I am still in cash and not trading the market or taking long positions. Even though I have been in cash for awhile and have missed the run up from the SP500 1500s to 1700s, I believe that summers can be a little rocky and weak. But that hasn't happened this year just yet. We shall see.
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Is everyone calling for a stock crash? It seems like I read that over and over on Twitter and on blogs. Marc Faber, Dr. Doom, is calling for one. How is his track record?
I remain in cash. For me, a lot of it is market seasonality. We normally get stock market corrections in the summer. Especially, when there has been a stock run up in the spring. It hasn't happened this year, though.
Saturday, August 10, 2013
Thursday, August 08, 2013
Interesting reversal in the market today. Look at the $EMM - Emerging Markets. Whoosh...
Tuesday, August 06, 2013
- So the market seems to be teasing the bears a bit - maybe. We haven't had much selling lately and any dip has been bought up quickly. Is this another case where things will just rip higher after a short pause? That's my guess. The summer correction just hasn't happened.
- I'm still in cash, though. I probably won't do much until the Sept-Oct timeframe somewhere.
- $IBM selling off. Kind of curious. The stock has been trending sideways for awhile above the 200dma. Consolidating or breaking down...? Over the long term, they are the big horse in IT mainframes and services, right?
- $XOM selling off because nobody is using fuel anymore I guess. Same with $CVX. That is also kind of curious. You'd think if the economy were expanding, then we'd use more fuel. But even with the unemployment rate falling the participation rate is falling, and the jobs are part-time jobs. So just not sure how to piece that puzzle together. Still think that Big Oil is an okay place to invest For. The. Long. Term. And these guys will be Big Natural Gas eventually, too - don't you think?
- Feet still broken and sore. This has been the worst summer evah. Basically stuck in the house and bored. Doc told me they'd feel better by September. I was optimistic it would be sooner, but darn things.
- I've noticed that the news channels just repeat the same stories over and over, and have the same discussions over and over. Watching Fox News and Fox Business, and every show is talking minimum wage, your data and privacy, Obamacare, etc. Same thing, over and over.
- "Hey Jonathan Hoenig, is raising the minimum wage to $15 a good idea?"