Monday, February 25, 2013
Sunday, February 24, 2013
- Noriel Roubini is bullish short term, long term catastrophic. Yeah. Really. “The risk of the end game from QE is not going to be goods inflation, it's not going to be a rout in the bond market,” Roubini says. “The risk is like during the 2003-06 [cycle] - we're exiting very slowly and we got an asset bubble.” He's saying things that many others are, too.
- Non-stop sequester talk this week. Gird your loins! Well, the thing is that the President is out there saying we're going to have to cut teachers. Aren't teachers funded locally? I say let the sequestration happen. Maybe some government workers get furloughed. Maybe they don't. The whole thing is that the amount of money cut is very minimal.
- Anyone else watching college hoops? Almost that time. Just as the 70-degree temperatures start rolling in, it's time for March Madness!
- So, I'm still mostly in cash. No reason to get too aggressive here. The market ended the weekly advance streak at 7 - even though, the market rebounded strongly this week. February is a weak month, but not this year. The market almost seems like it is churning up here. And, the Black Box has been on a sell signal. So, I'm not doing much here. Was the pullback this week all the ammo the bears have? I'm hoping for another rally after a pullback. Still!
- Flipped over to the Lakers-Mavs game. Lakers up in the 2nd. Anyone think that will last on the road for the Lakers? Me neither!
- We're almost 4 years into the bull market that started on March 9th, 2009. Really! It's getting long in the tooth, and the maket is really close to the highs set in 2007. Co-inky-dink?
- Eh, I don't care about the Oscars.
- I finished watching the first season of 24. I miss that show! I never saw the first two seasons, so doing that in between the cracks now. LOL. Anyway, President Palmer! Funny how some of the speeches he gave mirror some of the ones that President Obama gives. Maybe that show paved the way for Obama.
Friday, February 22, 2013
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
$$ Back from vacation. Still mostly in cash. Market selling off a bit. Hey it has been up seven weeks in a row!
So I need to get back in the news flow. More later. Market needs to do more stair stepping. Pullback to moving averages once and awhile, you know?
Hopefully the toll of higher taxes and fuel prices aren't hurting but I think they are.
Friday, February 15, 2013
I am on vacation - but it seems like the market is, too! $$
Nothing much happening on Wall Street other than a lack of movement. Drifting a little higher. Economic news here is okay, although retailers feeling the pinch of the consumers facing higher taxes and gas prices. Economic news in Europe sucks.
Sunny and warm here. Lol.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Sold stocks today. $$ Been a nice run. Nice runs don't last forever. Just feels toppy the last week or so and I don't think there is much more juice left now.
Hope to get back long before end of favorable market seasonality.
I do not know what the catalyst for a sell off will be. I think it's funny that everyone says that as a reason to be long. But those reasons are never obvious before a sell off.
Monday, February 11, 2013
Thursday, February 07, 2013
Wednesday, February 06, 2013
Tuesday, February 05, 2013
Monday, February 04, 2013
$YUM disappoints, and China problems get the blame. But have you been to a Taco Bell lately? I used to love Taco Bell, but I rarely go anymore. Instead, I find myself at Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) or Dos Coyotes, or even a local Mexican restaurant. I just don't like the fast food Mexican stuff like I used to - or, maybe the quality of the product is down and there are better alternatives.
I also think KFC is getting more competition via chicken wing outlets, too.
$$ - Consumers facing higher taxes AND higher gasoline prices. This is money that comes straight out of people's pockets. Instead of getting spent at the Cheesecake Factory or the Apple Store, the money goes to daily expenses. These things will have an impact on consumer spending and retailers profits down the road.
Happy birthday, $FB! Yes, Facebook turns 9 today. Gee, it seems like only yesterday that the social network started beating up Myspace as the destination of choice to share your dog and cat pictures, as well as the candid party shot of pounding down brews via a beer bong. Hi Mom!
Anyway, the market has been a little unkind to the stock so far in February. But that was after earnings and as the market has made new bull market highs. If the market pulls back, some of the high flyers may pull back even further. But it's starting to look like the strategy for mobile platforms may work. So, maybe this is a stock to accumulate on dips.
I don't own any FB, btw.
Saturday, February 02, 2013
$$ - CONTRARIAN ALERT! Barron's cover page this week! "Sellsellsell!"
You know, it just keeps happening even though we all know what this usually means.
Hopefully the same isn't true with why Sports Illustrated Ray Lewis cover.
Friday, February 01, 2013
FWIW, I took the Ravens +4 and under 48 points.
Madden NFL 13 predicts Super Bowl XLVII, Ep. 107
CNET | FEBRUARY 1, 2013
This week on Crave, possible bad news for San Francisco football fans, courtesy of the game Madden. Plus, J.J. Abrams the musical? [Read more] ... read more