- $SPY - Well. I bought the dip, too. Doesn't look like that will break even for awhile. I still have some cash so now I'm thinking ... Hmm, maybe wait a bit on that.
- No recession due to a spike in oil prices. No inverted yield curve. Profits at record highs. Interest rates at their lows and very little inflation. GDP still positive. Two hour lines at Disney. So this sell off is probably a correction and not a Great Recession.
- I liked Fear the Walking Dead. Slow build but that's what it is supposed to be. Heck, in the Walking Dead, Rick is only in a coma for a little while when he wakes up and society is toast.
- So... At least I bought stocks of companies not going away. Disney. Facebook. Apple. JNJ. Maybe they don't go up in a V move, but not worried over the long term.
- Havent watched too much preseason NFL. Hard to get into it versus streaming Netflix shows.Been on vacation a lot this month. LOL.
Sunday, August 23, 2015
Monday, July 27, 2015
Stocks stuck in the mud all year. Now China is the problem du jour. From Fed relate worries to Greece to China - it's always something.
I'm still mostly long with a little more cash then the last time I blogged. Looking to buy in to an ETF for a bounce. Heck, the market has been down five days in a row. That's a modern day record!
Maybe this is the summer correction we all knew was coming in some summer down the road, but hoping it wasn't THIS summer!
I haven't traded much all year... I'm sure it would have worked better than last year. I do own some of the big 2015 winners and a few sinners, too. It's a Facebook vs Twitter story. I believe in both over the next 10 years. Keep adding and adding as I can.
Enjoying summer. Hope you are, too.
Saturday, June 13, 2015
- I'm about 90% long. About. Ish.
- Believe in a summer correction. Haven't had one of any significance for awhile.
- Want to trim stocks but just can't seem to hit the button. Also afraid to buy anything right now. Crazy.
- Starbucks packed at lunch time. Wow. Not just drinks but food!
- Summer! Having our first 100 degrees plus temps. Pool time!
- Dodgers playing well but can't beat teams like Giants or Cardinals. Won't be an issue until the Fall.
Thursday, May 28, 2015
- The market really doesn't look that healthy. Other than the money chasing the high flyers (tech, semis, drugs, IT security), look at the rest of the mess.
- Of course, the Nasdaq hit all time highs just yesterday. LOL.
- The market looks so bad, it feels awful making all this money!
- I'm still long but do have a little cash. I can't help but think we get some selling down to a moving average just to scare folks. I have a shopping list of stocks with ridiculously high valuations.
- Retail stocks look ugly. Transports look ugly. Worth noting. Doesn't that mean demand for stuff is down? Or is everyone only buying $AAPL Apple watches?
- I think the Pebble Time watch looks like a good watch until Apple gets a few generations into their fixes and improvements.
- Dodgers can't beat good teams. Giants killed them with three shut outs. Now on the road in St. Louis.
Saturday, May 09, 2015
- So, just when it seemed as if “sell in May” was gaining some momentum, Friday happened and the market is now back near all time highs. Crazy!
- Reason du jour is a jobs report that, well, met expectations. Wasn’t too hot or cold. Unemployment supposedly fell a tick. As much as we can trust any of these numbers… I will say I think things aren’t as bad as the bears make out to be, and not as good as the bulls make out to be. So things are status quo – and, what’s wrong with that?
- So, Tom Brady to be suspended for up to half a season? Thank goodness for them and their fans that they play in the AFC East, consisting of a bunch of other teams that seem to be stuck in neutral.
- I remain long stocks. I was thinking about trimming on the Friday blast up, but didn’t. Maybe I will regret it. But seems like fighting zero interest rates has been a fools errand.
- Watching the GOP cast of characters vs. the Democratic party’s cast of characters and I’m very worried.
- Here in Sacramento there are water restrictions coming in. Can only water lawn once a week! Maybe it’s time we go full-desert and replace lawns with rock. Lawns are just a bunch of work anyway!
- Britain had an election that was supposed to be close. Or so they said. LOL.
- Anyway. So, baseball season. Nice to have a game on at most times of the day. I did renew to MLB and MILB packages. Always something to watch! Haven’t been that excited about the NBA playoffs. Such is the dilemma of Lakers’ fans!
- Almost done with Netflixing the final season of Sons of Anarchy. What a great show, but it was time to end it I think. Like the seriousness and gravity of the final season so far.
- Also binge watched Bloodline. Liked it! Slow here and there, but it builds…
- I’m not sure what to think about McDonalds. I own the stock $MCD, but have to say that they face challenges with fast casual competition growing like a weed. The stock hasn’t done much, but hasn’t really bombed either. (Although not moving when the market has had a nice run is hard to watch). Also noticing that lines have been picking up recently locally, but I don’t think it’s as crowded as Starbucks! $SBUX.
Monday, May 04, 2015
- Sy Harding passed away last week. He was one of the "Sell in May" guys who used the MACD to identify a time to sell stocks in the Spring and buy stocks in the Fall. Sad to hear that he passed and my thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and all who followed him.
- The market had an uneasy April. Will May be better? So far! It is tempting to Sell in May. The market has not had a decent pullback or correction in awhile. Yet, sometime moving sideways for a long and boring period of time eases things. What to do... What to do...
- I am still long the market but may ease back a little. Just having a hard time deciding because Sell in May hasn't worked recently.
- I didn't watch the fight. Big news is that the fight was transmitted live for free over the live streaming sites like Twitters Periscope. Will the fight organizers go after Twitter? They say they may go after both the companies that allow the piracy and the Pirates themselves.
- The Dodgers playing well. At home, anyway.
- The Warriors also playing well. Anywhere there is a basketball court.
- I binged watched Bloodline on Netflix. Liked it!
- Twitter earnings weren't such a shocker, but the way the earnings were released and the investor reaction was. Facebook had only sold off a little after their earnings, so when the other big eyeball sites like Twitter, Yelp, and Linked In fell so hard, I know it caught me off guard.
- Although honestly, I don't "get" Linked In. It's the site I use the least, no matter who is endorsing me for a skill set or wants to connect. Gee, go see me on FB for cryin out loud. At least I post pics of my dog on FB!
- Of those I use Twitter the most. Then FB. Then Yelp. And rarely look at Linked In.
Wednesday, April 01, 2015
- Heard that April is supposedly a strong month, with the ten days prior to tax day weak but the ten days after strong. Okay. Let's go with that.
- Market continues to sit near the highs with frustrating pullbacks of just a few percent but not making headway. The 150dma on the SP500 has held recent pullbacks and is somewhere near 2030ish. Ish.
- March Madness... Wow, Notre Dame almost had Kentucky and it feels like that may have been the last gasp chance for anyone to beat em. Although Wisconsin interesting...
- Still long the market. Sell in May warming up, stretching, and heading to on deck circle. So is baseball season!
- (Got MLB package, fwiw).
- Monday's big rally given back the last two days. Churning.
- The market can't do nothin since $AAPL - Apple joined the Dow!
- Got a new job. So. There is that.
- Finished the third season of House of Cards. Eh. Not as good as first two.