- Stock market has been a little frustrating this year. Not that it has been bad, but it has been underwhelming. Stuck. But it feels like this for almost two years now!
- One in five millennials has not had a Big Mac. Hey I had my first and only one three years ago. I’m not sure its a huge problem. The few $MCD near me seem crowded all the time these days, and I think breakfast is doing it.
- Thank goodness for dividends, right? Although those have been taking a hit recently as people seem to expect rate hikes coming, and the competition from bonds will be enough to get people to switch from dividend stocks back to bonds. Are you buying that? That’s the thought pattern anyway.
- If you were thinking about buying some Disney stock, would you do it now or wait until closer to year end in case tax loss selling comes in play? Or buy half of $DIS now, and hope it goes down so you can buy some more later!!! Booyah!
- Hmm… Politics. All over the place in the news cycle. Vote early and vote often.
- Not that the Fed will really hike rates, though. GDP low. Inflation low.
- Sell in May didn’t really work this year. At least dividends were collected in stocks. I never did much selling. A little. Raised some cash waiting for a sell off that never came. Seems like it would have been a decent year to trade rips and dips. The range…
Saturday, October 08, 2016
Monday, May 23, 2016
- I think it’s tough to raise rates in an election year. Especially the further along we get in the calendar. Would the Fed want to have an impact on the election?
- If you’re weighing rates and looming data, then you’re being blamed for today’s market fluctuations!
- The economic data has mostly been soft. Maybe inflation ticking up a little. I wonder how much of that is due to wage hikes pushing up prices? We have minimum wage hikes and new overtime pay rules.
- Why is Donald Trump surging in the polls? Trump is quickly consolidating the support of his party, while Clinton's still locked in a grueling primary battle. I mostly agree with this, and when Hillary finally gets the nomination, Bernie supporters will consolidate around her.
- Does anyone like $AAPL – Apple stock? Well, here may be some good news. They have a list of things, but my point is that the company is still going to win more and more market share around the globe. Heck, I’m going to upgrade to an iPhone 7 this Fall.
- I still think Hillary wins in a LANDSLIDE in November. It won’t be close.
- I use Open Live Writer to blog. FYI. Pretty clean interface. WYSIWYG
- Who wants to fly to Hawaii? Have you heard of VietJet? Well, lets watch the video.
- Hey! Is it all day breakfast or another move that has been critical to McDonald's success: improving customer service through wage increases and training. HMM. So raising prices good for consumers? …the changes "have resulted in lower crew turnover and higher customer satisfaction scores ... and we are gaining share relative to the [fast-food] sandwich segment."
- The Freddie Gray case is over. Edward Nero – Not guilty! So that will be in the news a lot this week. Hope for peace.
- $FIT - Fitbit facing a lawsuit over highly inaccurate trackers? Hmm.
- Remember when Xiaomi was supposed to be the Apple iPhone killer?
Sunday, May 22, 2016
- Market sentiment seems bearish. Even with stock indexes not that far from all-time highs. Except for the Nasdaq, where there has been some carnage in growth. But money has rotated into “safer” names for now. And Amazon.
- Lets build a park, and fill it with carnivores. Now that would make for a great movie! 3 Nile crocodiles found in Florida… between 2010 and 2014, the Nile crocodile was responsible for 480 attacks on humans in Africa … officials say the swamp dwellers escaped from a facility called Predator World.
- My thoughts on minimum wage hikes and increased compensation via overtime rules reform? When companies face higher costs, they either try to reduce costs or pass along the higher costs to consumers. So, these laws will probably mean some combination of fewer employees, fewer working hours for employees, and higher prices at the stores, malls, and monthly bills for consumers. And combine this with more costs for rules and regulations, there is an unknown impact on small businesses that never get started in the first place.
- Back to stocks, I think all these liberal/progressive rules are a major factor in the slower GDP growth we’ve seen. And economic growth fuels the stock market. Which hasn’t gone anywhere in almost a year and a half!
- And throwing the first pitch today is Tiffany Hwang from the South Korean kpop group Girls Generation. Nice throw, Tiffany!
- Energy experts say oil won’t top $100. Does that make you nervous? So I suppose what that really means is that we should start to fear really high oil prices again.
- Angry Birds made $39 million this weekend? Hmm. Well, I did get an Angry Birds themed spoon at the local yogurt shop yesterday.
- Hedge funds unloaded $7 billion of Apple stock in the first quarter. Nobody likes it anymore. Should start seeing some downgrades, right? Some are comparing to Blackberry. Hmm. Well, I’m not there yet. I still own it.
Sunday, May 15, 2016
The stock market has felt a lot like the ocean tide the last year and a half. Rolls in. Rolls out. But it seems like nothing much is going on. Cash on the sidelines is doing about as well as a diversified index fund!
Monday, April 25, 2016
- Market year to date: Energy! $XLE
- #FearTWD - I like Fear the Walking Dead. But I am a little disappointed that they didn’t spend more time covering society’s downfall. Even this season when they show LA being blown up in the background. I would have liked to see more stories on what’s going on inside the government and military. They can still do that with character flashbacks, by the way. Where were you when… and what was happening when…
- What a difference from the last check I did at the end of February, when nobody seemed to give energy a chance. Utilities have been hanging on.
- Technology a bit frustrating, and makes up the largest sector in the SP500. Financials negative, another large weighting.
- Steph Curry… Ouch! Kind of sad to see the Warriors get the season wins record, and then get hit with a major post-season injury. It’s tough to stay on top!
- One way to think about energy, is that more demand for energy would tend to go along with a growing economy. Right? Of course, it matters if the dollar is ascending or descending, too…
- I was one who thought Donald Trump was just a sideshow, and he may take the GOP race after tomorrow’s primary. LOL. Well, I don’t want to go out on a limb here, but I can’t imagine a scenario where Hillary doesn’t just blow him out in November. The Republicans have to hope he doesn’t kill their chances of retaining both houses of Congress…
- Everyonce and awhile, sometimes, I think I should do some podcasts. Sometimes I even do one. And then never upload it. LOL.
- Overall, still bullish. But will move some to cash ahead of summer.
#sellinmay - For anyone thinking about Sell in May, one method used an MACD cross as of Friday to get the heck out. I will be scaling out of some long positions this week in tax deferred accounts.
Thursday, February 25, 2016
- Year to date? The Utes! (And I don’t mean Utah).
- I remain long and dollar cost averaging. When I watch the Fox Business Block, Ben Stein often recommends that you buy $SPY “and hold on for dear life.”
- I also do still own a handful of tickers and $QQQ.
- It feels like a bear market, but not seeing recession signs. Sure, the economic indicators are so-so. Growth is slow. But unemployment is low. Inflation is low-ish.
- Watching the GOP debate on CNN. Who else is wondering why Carson and Kasich were even invited? They are out of it…
- (Wondering if Cruz and Rubio are also out of it!)
- I think Hillary crushes Trump in November. Won’t be close. I think Rubio is the only one who has a shot in November, but he may not have a chance in March against Trump!
- But hey, the important thing in March is March Madness…